FREMONT – The applicant briefings for communities who sustained damages from the severe storms in June have been scheduled.
The briefings were scheduled by management officials working to coordinate disaster assistance to communities who suffered damages. The major disaster declaration allows eligible state, tribe, local governments, and certain private nonprofits to apply for assistance. The first meeting was held this morning in Fremont, NE. Region 5/6 Emergency Management Director, Bill Pook, says the purpose of these meetings is to inform eligible applicants.
“This was then the first meeting, of which there will be several,” said Pook, “for people to get their initial round of information as to what paperwork now needs to be filled out so that they can be reimbursed for costs from the wind storm that we had here in Dodge County on June 16th.”
Those who took part in the Fremont meeting include Fremont Public Power District, City of Fremont, Hooper, Nickerson, along with some applicants from outside of Dodge County.
The aid is provided under the FEMA Public Assistance Program, and the requests for assistance must be submitted to Nebraska Emergency Management Agency by August 30th. According to Pook, the next step is for each applicant to have a kickoff meeting. He says those meetings will follow shortly after an applicant’s request is received.
“Kickoff meetings will occur shortly after the applicant information is submitted,” said Pook. “Many people are working on it right now. Even today, I know they already started at the meeting, starting to fill out the paperwork. Once that’s reviewed, then the kickoff meeting will be set. Usually within 30 days.”
There are a total of five other applicant briefings scheduled for any eligible applicants who were unable to attend the Fremont meeting. The schedule of briefings is below.
- Tuesday, August 15th, Plymouth. 1:30 p.m. at the Plymouth Fire Hall, located at 403 East Main Street.
- Thursday, August 17th, Omaha. 9 a.m. at Mockingbird Hills Community Center, located at 10242 Mockingbird Drive.
- Wednesday, August 23rd, Papillion. 9 a.m. at Sarpy County Administration Building, located at 1210 Golden Gate Drive.
- Thursday, August 24th, David City. 9 a.m. at the Fire Station, which is located at 552 D Street.
- Thursday, August 24th, Bayard. 10 a.m. at Bayard Fire Hall, located at 544 Main Street.