MONROE – An October 2 fire at a Monroe scrap metal recycling center has been ruled as accidental by the Nebraska State Fire Marshal.
The fire occurred at Roadrunner Iron and Metal, and required the combined efforts of the Monroe Fire Department and mutual aid departments from Platte Center, Genoa, and Columbus to put the blaze out. The fire began around 4:00 PM, and an investigative report by the Fire Marshal says that the departments were still on scene when an investigator arrived around 10:00 PM.
Roadrunner Iron and Metal owner Ted Nelsen told the investigator that one of their employees accidentally knocked over one of their burn barrels, and the hot embers ignited a pile of scrap foam insulation, setting it ablaze. The fire then spread to a scrap tire pile that was sitting next to the insulation.
The report states that Roadrunner did not suffer any losses in the fire, and no injuries were reported. The investigator ruled the fire as accidental, and the scene was cleared at 1:18 AM on October 3.